Monday, May 2, 2011

“Yeah but when I turn into you, I get locked up as my clothes tear and I feel the worse pain imaginable!”

(‘Scent’ Excerpt Chapter 11)

As the ‘Cranberries’ played softly as mood music, Grant occasionally looked over his book to watch me work. He quietly observed me separate all of my books on history and mythology from my novels and shelve them in alphabetical and categorical order. I was so fastidious, it took me most of the afternoon. I was almost done when we were interrupted by unexpected guests.

Knock, knock, knock!

“Come in!” He called out immediately, as if he were expecting the intrusion.

I watched my front door open with the entry of Ian, Dad, Grandfather and even Grandpa walking into my living room.

“Oh.” I stood up worriedly from the floor. “What’s wrong?”

“Why do you think something is wrong?” Grandpa smiled in amusement.

“Then what’s with the mini reunion?” I pondered.

“We’re declaring class is now in session.” Dad announced.

“Class, what class?” I looked his way in befuddlement.

“Tonight, tomorrow night and for the next couple of nights, you’ll be training with Lokoti Werewolves.” Grandfather grinned. “Your mother and grandmother as the Circulators within the family are your ‘lecturers’ in time manipulation. Now you have us as your tutors for your Werewolf abilities.”

“I do?” my eyes widened, before they narrowed when they turned towards Grant who came over. “You knew about this?”

“Of course.” He shrugged. “The pack have been talking about this for the last couple of days. When you fall into sync with us, you’ll hear as well as feel the pack consensus too.”

My heart skipped a beat as I felt dwarfed by being the only female amongst all of the males in the room.

“Where’s Mum and Gran?” I took a step backwards. “Are they coming too?”

“Your grandmother and mother can advise you on Circulator matters, but they can’t train your bloodlust as a Werewolf, B.” Dad said gravely.

“But I don’t want to wolf-out and go all yucky!” I took another step backwards with apprehension. “It hurts being a Werewolf and I always get into trouble for it!”

“If you start your training as soon as possible, you can be taught to control the bloodlust, B.” Grandpa said patiently. “The longer we leave it, the harder it will be.”

“It’s not a full moon so I don’t want to change!” I objected. “I don’t want this! I don’t want to be like you!”

“B…” Grant looked pained, “…it will be alright, I promise.”

“Yeah but when I turn into you, I get locked up as my clothes tear and I feel the worse pain imaginable!” I objected.

“Then we’d better get you trained as soon as possible, so you don’t feel the agonizing stomach cramps anymore.” Ian said calmly.

Suddenly in a bright flash of light, Mum and Gran instantaneously phased into my living area, to the surprise of the male Lokoti Werewolves.

“Arabella?” Grandfather looked on his mate.

“Jess?” Dad had to blink at Mum’s abrupt appearance.

“Hi Hunter.” She smirked. “We just came to drop something off for B.”

“For me?” I wondered out loud. “Like what?”

Gran walked forwards holding a small pile of neatly folded up clothes in her hands. As she came forwards, she unfolded the garments and soon we were looking on several elasticized black tops and bottoms of what looked to be like gym clothes.

“You need elasticized clothing which won’t tear when you change.” She announced. “Here’s a couple of pairs of work-out clothes you can wear which will handle your increased muscle bulk.”

I looked on the two other females in the room which coupled with their consideration; it was like they were the light in all of this darkness. I walked up not just to accept my gift, but I pulled both older women into my stronger arms in a grateful hug.

“Thank you!” I uttered out in a tight voice. “Thank you so much!”

“They’re just clothes, B.” Mum laughed at reaction, but Gran understood.

“Of course we’d be here for the first female Lokoti Werewolf who’s still our beloved B.” She rubbed my back in a soothing manner. “Now how about you go upstairs and change?”

“You mean you’ll be coming too?” I asked hopeful.

“Er, perhaps not.” She tried not to laugh.

“We’ll stay here though.” Mum promised. “Go off and do your ‘Werewolf bonding’ or whatever the males have planned? And when you come home all hunted out, we will be waiting for you.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: