Wednesday, March 24, 2010

“You’ve experienced the taste of the fruit being offered to you, eh, Elisha? And now you want more.”


25/ 06/ 01

Diary,

Today after summer classes Dr. Kell called our Circulators’ class together for a meeting so we could all discuss our first excursions.

I found out I wasn’t the only one who went to a formal occasion. Both Jordon and Numu when they visited Egypt and Babylon also attended formal banquets, as well as got to wander through the magnificent cities of old. Peter boasted of his good time at Woodstock, and Zack (this time with a little modesty) told of his achievements, playing in a zero-G football training match in the future.

Everyone listened intently as I told them about the Ball at Holland House. I spoke about the sumptuous dinner, the gilt room, the dresses, the snobbery, and meeting two officers, one in the Army and the other in the Navy. I also told the about the social protocols of how a Lady had to behave and how it affected who I could meet and how. Of course, I left out the actual flirtation with Sir Guy Robertson. But bringing this up, it made me want to ask Dr. Kell another question.

“When do we start planning our next excursion?” I asked him.

Everyone wanted to know the answer to this one.

“Well, the schedule for Circulators going on a second excursion in time isn’t due until next October.” Dr. Kell announced.

“Can’t we do it any sooner?” I asked, dismayed. I think I’ve still been kind of hoping I’d still make it somehow to the Marlborough Ball.

“You’ve experienced the taste of the fruit being offered to you, eh, Elisha? And now you want more.” Dr. Kell sighed. But by the way he looked at me for a moment then, I wondered if he knew something.

“Well…” I tried to choose my next words carefully. “There was another Ball I was hoping to go to.”

“On a Circulators second excursion we would usually transport you to a different location and time.” Dr. Kell told me.

“Why?” I asked, dismayed again.

“If we continually sent a Circulator in training to the same location and time, how would the trainee learn new things?” he arched his eyebrows.

“But can’t we start Circulating for fun now? Can’t we go on monitored excursions for our own… enjoyment?” I pressed.

“You mean like a trip into town for the day? No. You may have the ability to phase by yourself Elisha, but there are other students who haven’t reached that stage yet. We should all progress together, and stay on the learning schedule.” Kell stated.

“You phased by yourself?” Zack asked me in surprise. “You never told me that.”

“I didn’t really know I did it. Dr. Knight told me afterwards.” I told him, then I turned back to Dr. Kell. “But we’ve already started these classes ahead of schedule. If I knew what I was doing, and I was really careful…”

“No!” Kell said a little more forcefully. “If you have any further complaints, then I suggest you take this up with Professor Hamilton and then perhaps, the Circulate Council.”

I leaned back in my chair in a huff, and crossed my arms angrily. I felt like I was being patted on the head like a child again. I thought we were past this. I may be temporarily defeated, but I decided right then and there that I would try to get past this.

“What was it like? Phasing by yourself?” Numu leaned forward to ask me.


======================================================

No comments: