Sunday, February 28, 2010

“Well, putting my thoughts onto paper, or hard disk as it were… it’s kind of like leaving my mark on reality.”



31/ 03/ 01

Diary,

I didn’t feel like having dinner and watching the movie for ‘fun night’ tonight. I was too wrapped in writing my Astronomy assignment on Ley Lines, Circular Stones and other land marks and their position towards the stars and the universe. I think this kind of stuff is absolutely fascinating! So far my classes with Dr. Kell are a little on the kooky side, but I love how he blends into understanding Math, Astronomy and their part in History.

I had a nice surprise tonight. As I was working on my essay, Pat came in with some Mexican food they had served in the cafeteria. He had saved me a plate and brought it in for me.

“Thanks.” I smiled at him, then immediately started stuffing the burrito into my mouth. I hadn’t realized I was hungry.

“How are your classes going?” he asked me.

“Pretty goo’.” I said with my mouth full. “Yours?”

“Yeah, same ole, same ole.” He picked up my note book and started perusing through it. He paused at my diagrams of spherical space time and at the layers of time in a pond analogy. “We’re actually working on the same thing at the moment.”

“Yeah, but while you’re doing the calculating of the phenomenon, we’re just getting the basics.” I said. “But we have got to use examples where we’ve actually seen through time.”

“No way.” He looked up at me in surprise. “We haven’t even got that far yet!”

“Yeah, but our classes are on the practical side, remember?” I reminded him before taking another bite.

“Yeah, I guess.” He put my book down again.

“At the end of the semester, we’re going to go on our first excursion through time.” I told him.

“Really?” he asked impressed. “Which time period?”

“Any.” I guess. “Whatever we choose I guess.”

“That would be cool.” He agreed.

“Hey Pat, can I ask you a question?” I asked him after a moment.

“Yeah.” He shrugged.

“What was it like for you when you were 13 years old and Hamilton appeared and offered to bring you here at Hamilton’s? Into the future?”

He was quiet for another moment, before saying, “it was a surprise. I mean, my father had been dead for six months, my mother had just been hung and only moments before I ran a knife across my wrists. I was about to pass out when this strange man approached me, spoke to me, picked me up and the next thing I knew, I was in the hospital wing at this school.”

“Really?” I asked surprised. “That’s almost the same way it happened to me! Then what happened?”

“Hamilton and Dr. Knight told me where I was and offered to let me stay here.” He said.

“Did you need to think about it for a while?”

“Nup. I mean, I didn’t have much of a future staying where I’d come from. I thought I’d give this time frame a go instead. I certainly had nothing to lose.”

“I guess not.” I saw his point. “I think that’s the way how I felt too.”

“Can I ask you a question?” he asked me next. I nodded and he continued. “Why do you always write in your diary?”

“I don’t know. My mother first gave me a diary when I was 12 years old. It just caught on, that’s all.” I answered.

“Sometimes, watching you, it’s like you’re documenting this time frame now, for later on in the future.” Pat said to me.

“That’s kind of true.” I shrugged. “But do you ever get the feeling that none of this is real? That you’re not really here? Well, putting my thoughts onto paper, or hard disk as it were… it’s kind of like leaving my mark on reality. To show that I was here, that I existed.”

“I always thought that you wrote in your diary because you were marking down how you perceived your existence.” Suddenly Nelson showed up in my doorway.

“Well, that too.” I confessed.

Nelson came into my room, shut my door behind her and put my window up a tiny bit. Then we all took out our cigarettes and lit them. We hadn’t done this all together in what felt, a very long time. It felt good getting together again.

“How are your classes going?” I asked her.

“Good.” she shrugged. “How about yours? Little Miss Circulator of
2-0-0-1?”

“Good.” I shrugged again. “But there is one thing I’m a bit nervous about.”

“And what’s that?” Pat asked me.

“Well, when we Circulate, dispersing and rotating through the circle of time, our bodies actually dissipate into energy, or light waves. How am I physically dispersing myself into light waves? It just sounds impossible right now.” I pointed out.

“Well, you saw Dr. Knight go all through see-through, I guess that’s how.” Nelson said. “Her molecules speed up in the process.”

“Have you guys studied the Friedman model yet? How gravity is so strong that space is bent around itself, making the universe with all the galaxies inside of it like a sphere? How space is 3 dimensional and time is the 4th dimension?” I asked them.

“Yep. Covered that in Astronomy two weeks ago.” They nodded.

“Do you believe it?”

“Well, since they, the teachers, know what it’s actually like in the future, do you think that they would teach us something that’s incorrect?” Nelson raised her eyebrow at me.

“I’ve got a question for you.” Pat looked at me as he exhaled smoke. “That night you, Sally and Zack followed Peter into Alpha building on Halloween. How did you sense what was going on?”

“You’re like the fifth person who’s asked me that, and the answer’s still the same. No f**king idea.” I said annoyed.

“Well here’s one. Space and time are dynamic quantities, so like when a body moves, or a force acts, like a reverberation, it affects the way in which other bodies move or other forces act. Space and time not only the effect but are also the affected. You felt the change in the time line, like a reverberation.” Pat explained.

“Oh yeah. I think that’s what Dr. Knight was trying to point out to me. That goes with the ripple effect in the pond of time.” I nodded.

“Hey, I want you to promise me something.” Nelson suddenly grabbed my arm.

“Yeah? What?”

“When we’ve finished at this college, that you’ll take me to New York in the 1980’s.” she said.

“What? Why?” I asked her, nearly laughing.

“I’d love to be apart of that disco, punk, retro thing and live in a Fifth Avenue apartment. Didn’t you ever see the movie, ‘American Psycho’?” she looked at me.

“What, you wanna become the psycho and kill everybody?” Pat laughed at her.

“OK smart ass, where and when would you wanna live?” Nelson turned on him.

“The future. After World War 3 when the whole planet goes through its second Renaissance.” Pat stated.

“You know about World War 3? When does that happen?” I asked, shocked.

“You’ll learn about it in History in Senior year.” Pat stubbed out his cigarette.

“Is it in our life time?” I asked him, suddenly worried about my family… Dad, Jen, Uncle Ben and Aunt Gabby… even Mark.

“Chill out. You’ll find out later.” Pat wouldn’t say anymore than that. “Well I’m gonna go downstairs and watch the movie.”

He opened my door and closed it behind himself.

“Well, that’s a cheerful note to end the conversation on.” I grumbled to Nelson.

“F**k the world. Human kind has always been a disaster waiting to happen. Now, tell me about what’s new with you and Zack…” Nelson poked me in the ribs.


======================================================

No comments: